Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day Three: May 14, 2012


My mom texted me durning lunch to tell me that Ace and Harley were just fine when she went out to the farm to check on them. The day was long, especaily with me repeating everything about my new boys to all my friends and teachers. All I wanted was to hurry up and be with them. At 3:00 my mom came and got me early durning my study hall.

I was really sunburned from Sunday... and told my self in the car ride there that I'd get my sun glasses, sunscreen, and hat, but I was just too excited and eagar to go in the back feild with my mustangs. I left with out any sun protection.

When I got out in the back, Ace and Harley were much calmer than when I had left them the other day. I started with my round pen work again with Ace, and finally got him to go into a canter without Harley wanting to jump out again. As Ace rested I worked on desensitizing him to me. I got his head tilted toward me as I jumped up and down beside him holding him still and rubbing him at the same time. He did really well so I went to the next side. Since he was a pushy as ever I worked more aggressivly at getting Ace to move away from my space. Tapping his neck with the whip wasn't really doing any thing so I threw it aside and slapped my hands on his neck and cheek. At last he moved and started to get the idea. Then I started trying to back him up since he likes to walk right up and all over me. I tried tapping the air, rope and then his nose, but Ace just move to the sides. I found that tapping his chest caused him to back so he finally started to get it after tiring me out.

My goal of the day was to get him to lead him out of the round pen and to the outside world for the first time. But to be sure he would listen to me I lunged him on his lead rope. He did great! I had to bump his head but he listend well and did little circles beautifuly around me going both ways. I felt he was ready but just as a safety net I put him on a 25 foot lung rope instead of his 7ft lead rope. I lead him to the gate and unlocked the two chains and opend the gate. I let him see it breifely before walking him around in cirlces infront of the gate and around the round pen. He want interest but wasnt going to bolt out. I stepped through first and let him follow me. Harley was busied with alfalfa hay while I led Ace around. Ace sniffed around and took a few bites of grass. I lead him back into the round pen did a circle and them back out. I waited for him to relax a bit but he really didnt. After five or so minutes I took him back in.

I hadnt worked with Harley yet and it was his turn at being in round pen for the night. I switched them and lead Ace in. He eyed at the tarp but with hay he settled some. Silly boy Harley wanted back in the barn with Ace and he pushed his chest against the gate even with the freedom of a 50ft round pen. I snapped his lead rope on and went to work with him. Right away he was really antsy. I tried to get him to stand still but as he spun aroun I moved with him round and round. He would not stand. I noticed a bump on his right shoulder that seemed to bother him. His legs seemed stiff. My mom told me his back legs were walking funny. I figured he must have hurnt himself and make him sore tring to get out. I left him at the best stopping place I could find even though no progress was made. That night I left hoping that being turned out would help strech out his legs so he could get a better start the next day. It felt like Ace was a mile ahead of Harley. It was a bitter sweet day with Ace's progression and Harley's digression.
 
 Harley following my mom around as she fills up his water.
 Ace now inside.
 Harley outside eating hay.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment